The "Generic MIDI controller"
Diclaimer: I published this on a forum I joined at the age of 15 so some of the writing may be a little less than perfect but I decided not to edit anything when moving this to my own blog from the DJTT forum on 3-11-19.
I've been researching DIY midi controllers for as long as I am a member of DJTT. However it has always been difficult for me to settle on a design that really suits my needs instead of a quick project that I do not actually need. One thing I notice a LOT is that I would like to have a dedicated controller for my effects that enables me to control all of them without the need for shift buttons or weird button placement. I think this design is the solution for me. This controller is going to be placed behind a standard 12" mixer.
First of all I would like to thank DJTT for the design pack for the "Midi Fighter X contest" that helped me create this. Here it is:
- 25-07-15 Order all parts (buttons, pot's, teensy)
- 10-08-15 Complete design in auto cad for lasercutter
- 15-08-15 Finish and order PCB
- 25-08-15 Cast buttons in custom mold.
- 01-09-15 Send files to lasercutter (and possibly 3d printer)
- 20-09-15 Finalize software design
Brain: Teensy 3.1 Material case: Three layers of 2mm acrylic
Ordered all parts except for the arcadebuttons (they are out of stock) just started on the first PCB design and have just finished the top layer of acrylic:29/8
Ordered the fist PCB: (professionals be like 🤨 when they see this)
Made a concept for the 3d-printed case, final design is going to be made in autoCAD:
Finished the design in autoCAD but upon requesting a quote it appeared to cost $276.83 so I'm going with bent acrylic
Ordered the Chroma Caps:
Received the lasercut parts: (final device is going to be grey with red):
Got the PCB's in the mail, going to check them later but they look OK.
Got the buttons from focus attack for......... here it comes...... $7 a piece! wow! this sucks
This however does not:
Assembled the button PCB's and tested them:
Finished the PCB for the potentiometers.
Assembled the PCB for the Pot's:
Finally found a place that sold transparant plastic (acrylic) rods with a small diameter in small quantity's, had to enlarge the holes though (with a drill bit 0.5 mm a time * 80 times) then i had to saw this rod in tiny matching pieces (saw, sand the end of the rod and saw the next piece using a saw box). Then I used superglue to glue these on, on the first two i used too much so I had to remove these buttons.
Finished smaller buttons:
Shitty pic's are better than no pic's😁, progress is slow especially since I'm in the middle of moving to Leiden.